ChipsAway Carcare Stockport can perform end of lease vehicle inspections.
Due to the precise technical nature of this topic please see the following information regarding end of lease vehicle inspections.
ChipsAway's Fair Wear and Tear Inspections
We have attended a presentation on the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear Standard which addresses vehicle end of lease inspections and relates the findings accordingly.
"Fair Wear and Tear occurs when normal usage causes acceptable deterioration to a vehicle. It is not to be confused with damage, which occurs as a result of a specific event or series of events such as impacts, inappropriate stowing of items, harsh treatment, negligent acts or omissions".
During your inspection, any damage that in our opinion is identified as being outside of the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear Standard will be advised to you, along with appropriate repair methods. ChipsAway is able to complete most of these repairs - usually in less than a day and at up to 50% less than a traditional bodyshop!
We inspect the condition of the vehicle bodywork, interior, glass and wheels/trims. All other elements of the vehicle condition should be assessed independently.
Because there exists and element of subjectivity in any assessment of vehicle condition, we have put together the following classifications of repair based upon our understanding of the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear Standard:
- Essential Repair - this is damage beyond BVRLA Fair Wear & Tear Standard, and must be rectified to avoid charges
- Desirable Repair - this damage might not be considered "light" or "minor" or otherwise as permitted by wear and tear, but a leasing company might also assess it as chargeable.*
- Fair Wear & Tear - this damage is within BVRLA Fair Wear & Tear Standard and should not result in a charge.*
To avoid disappointment please make sure you book your ChipsAway Fair Wear & Tear Inspection approximately ten weeks before the vehicle is due for return.
The vehicle inspection should be supplied clean (inside and out), recently washed, dry and in conditions of good light. If it is not supplied in this manner, ChipsAway will proceed with the inspection as far as is possible in the circumstances, however the effectiveness of the inspection will be limited, and regrettably no discount or refund will be available.
Where damage is identified as requiring repair, ChipsAway will be pleased to quote for repairs whilst the vehicle is still in your custody. All ChipsAway repairs carry a full guarantee.
We will provide an End of Lease Vehicle Condition Certificate at the conclusion of the inspection or any repairs you proceed with. We will undertake the assessment strictly in accordance with our understanding of the BVRLA Fair Wear & Tear Standard. A Leasing company or their inspecting agents will also reach their own judgment based on the condition of the vehicle subsequently presented. The imposition of any undue charges on a vehicle inspected by us is unlikely, however specific returns policy details should be checked separately.
Avoiding Charges When Returning Leased Vehicles
Your ChipsAway Fair Wear & Tear Inspection will cover the cosmetic condition of the vehicle bodywork, wheels, windscreen and interior. Be aware that on return to the leasing company, other elements of the vehicle condition, some listed below, may be assessed and potentially generate charges where the vehicle does not meeting the required standard or condition. Please check the specific returns details of your lease policy.
In addition to your ChipsAway Inspection, you should:
- Ensure the vehicle has been services according to the proper schedule, and that the service record is stamped and returned with the vehicle. IF the service has not been followed, expect to be charged both for the cost of any missed services and also for the loss of vehicle value in that it does not have a full service history.
- Check the vehicle mileage. If it is likely to exceed any contractual mileage limit consider if it is possible to reduce your daily mileage before the limit is passed.
- Ensure that all documentation supplied with the vehicles present at return. Where the vehicle requires an MOT test, ensure this is completed and included on return.
- Make sure you check:
- MOT certificate
- Tax disc
- Service book/history
- User manual
- Vehicle accessories
- Ensure that all vehicle keys (including locking wheel nut) are returned with the vehicle, and that immobilisers and remote locking devices work properly.
- Remove any badges, labels or advertising unless returning the vehicle without removing them has been agreed in advance with your leasing company (if removing live etc leave a difference in paintwork colour, this will need to be rectified before return as it is not considered Fair Wear & Tear).
- Check that all the equipment supplied with the vehicle, including any spare wheel, jack/toolkit, emergency warning triangle, on-board computer, satellite navigation (including data disc) or in-car entertainment system etc., is present and in good working order.
- Ensure that any obvious problems with the mechanical condition of the vehicle or its systems are rectified. Check tyres are within the legal limit and lights/indicators all work.
(*) Please check your specific policy details. (Each leasing company may vary their returns to meet customer and operational requirements).